Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Fairy Tree



          One of my favorite experiences at the Enchanted Forest has been daily visitations from this beautiful big yellow and black butterfly, which may be a western tiger, but I don’t really know how to identify it other than calling it “part of the magic.” Everyone who has seen the film Patch Adams remembers the scene where Patch questions g-d when his love Carin dies and this butterfly emerges, giving him hope.  Even as a non-believer, I do agree it was a moving scene.  However, I prefer the scene earlier in the movie where Carin tells Patch that she envies the caterpillar, who can hid in a cocoon and come out flying.  It reminds me more of my own life.  I have posted the scene under Videos if you want to view it. 
          I have recently learned that the reason this gorgeous butterfly frequents the forest may be because of a tree we have called the Albizia Julibrissin.  Butterflies consume its nectar. 
          The Albizia Juilbrissin is commonly referred to as a Persian silk tree and some people call it a mimosa.  Yeah, a mimosa…I call my Champaign and orange juice brunch drinks mimosas!  Side note-a mimosa is the ONLY thing Champaign is really good for.  Anyway…I call the tree the “Fairy Tree.” It is a fairy tree because it produces these magical fluffy pink flowers.
          Interestingly, most plant and garden websites refer to this tree as an invasive species like a weed!  There are many websites that have information on how to kill them.  Whatttttt??? This tree is so pretty!  The flowers look like fairies or powder puffs and cover the whole tree.  The leaves are lacy, fern-like and delicate.  
          Besides its beauty, I read that this tree has several practical usages such making yummy sauces out of the seeds.  They are supposed to smell really good in the spring.  The bark may have some skin healing properties and the ability to treat tapeworm.  I hope I never have a chance to verify this, actually!
          This tree is native in Asia and was introduced in Italy.  The guy who introduced it was Filippo degi Albizzia who was a famous naturalist.  After the tree became popular in Europe in the 1700s, it was brought to the US in 1745.  I don’t know how it got in the Enchanted Forest, but it sure makes a lovely addition.
Disclaimer:  Tree info was obtained from Wikipedia, check link list for more.  All tree photos are from random internet image searches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment